EIC Accelerator Project
HPNow is a proud beneficiary of the European Innovation Council’s Accelerator Program
Project Background: Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the world’s most widely used chemicals – it is a powerful oxidant and disinfectant utilized across water and wastewater treatment (WWT); pulp, paper and textile; medical, and electronics industries. It is highly effective against a wide range of pathogens, including SARS-CoV-2 (cause of COVID-19), as well as in facilitating the breakdown of human-generated pollutants. While H2O2 itself is “green” – decomposing to pure water and oxygen – today’s supply chain is far from it. The global consumption of over 6.5M Tons is produced in centralized chemical plants, emitting greenhouse gasses (GHG) equivalent to the emissions of 3 million cars. Delivery from these centralized plants to millions of distributed points of use requires a complex, hazardous, costly, and increasingly regulated supply chain.
Our goal in the EIC backed PeroxyPro project is to replace today’s GHG emission and toxic-waste intensive, hazardous, and costly H2O2 supply chain, with the world’s first and only commercial technology solution for the on-site generation of hydrogen peroxide through direct electrochemical synthesis, using only water, electricity and air as inputs.
- Provide consumable free generation of hydrogen peroxide directly where and when it is required
- Eliminate costs and safety concerns of a hazardous substance supply chain
- Secure H2O2 supply at the point of use
- Eliminate regulatory burdens for storage of high-concentrate H2O2 on site
PeroxyPro will provide strong positive societal impacts by:
- Improving water safety
- Reducing >70% up to 3.7 T GHG, 10 T hazardous waste, per ton H2O2
- Reducing safety concerns associated with transport, storage and handling of bulk peroxide
- Facilitating the shift to decentralized water treatment, enabling faster and lower-cost response to growing water shortages
Project Achievement – Chemical-input free Advanced Oxidation
World’s first chemical-input free UV / H2O2 advanced oxidation process. Conducted jointly with Xylem, and Evonik Industry’s R&D center in Hanau, Germany.
Complete test setup
HPGen H2O2 generator from HPNow
Spektron 6 UV-reactor from Xylem
This project has received funding from the European Innovation Council’s Accelerator program, under grant agreement 960753 – PeroxyPro.